Gk Questions in English – General Knowledge is a very important subject as it not only enhances your knowledge but is also widely asked in competitive exams. So, here we have provided 100+ GK Questions and Answers in English in various subjects like History, Geography, Politics, Sports, Current Affairs, General Science and Technology.
Top 100 Gk Questions and Answers
1. Who built the Sanchi Stupa?
2. Megasthenes came as an ambassador to whose court?
Answer: Chandragupta Maurya
3. Who wrote the play “Mudrarakshasa”?
4. Which Mauryan emperor embraced Jainism and went to Shravanabelagola?
Answer: Chandragupta Maurya
5. Who was the last Mauryan emperor?
6. Which dynasty did Kanishka belong to?
Answer: Kushan dynasty
7. What was the capital of Kanishka?
8. In which state does the sun rise first in India?
Answer: Arunachal Pradesh
9. What is India’s highest civilian award?
Answer: Bharat Ratna
10. Who was the first Indian woman to receive the Bharat Ratna?
Answer: Indira Gandhi (in 1971)
Top 5 Gk Questions in English
11. Where does the monsoon arrive first in India?
Answer: Kerala state
12. Where did Gautama Buddha attain enlightenment?
Answer: Bodh Gaya
13. Who was India’s first Governor-General?
Answer: Lord William Bentinck
14. Which country was the first to send humans to the Moon?
Answer: United States of America (USA)
15. Deficiency of which vitamin causes night blindness?
Answer: Vitamin A
Top 10 Gk Questions in English
16. Who discovered the solar system?
17. What script is used for the Hindi language?
Answer: Devanagari script
18. Insulin is used for the treatment of which disease?
Answer: Diabetes mellitus
19. Where does India receive the highest rainfall?
Answer: Mawsynram (in Meghalaya)
20. Who was India’s first female ruler?
Answer: Razia Sultan Begum
21. Who invented television?
Answer: John Logie Baird
22. When and where did the Jallianwala Bagh massacre occur?
Answer: Amritsar (in 1919)
23. Which is the brightest and hottest planet in the solar system?
24. What is the boundary line between India and Pakistan called?
Answer: Radcliffe Line
25. Who founded the Brahmo Samaj?
Answer: Raja Ram Mohan Roy
26. Who is the father of the Indian Space Program?
Answer: Dr. Vikram Sarabhai
27. Who gave the slogan “Give me blood, and I will give you freedom”?
Answer: Subhas Chandra Bose
28. When was the Battle of Buxar fought?
Answer: In 1764
29. Who was the first woman to climb Mount Everest twice?
Answer: Santosh Yadav
30. When did Vasco da Gama arrive in India?
Answer: In 1498
Top 20 Gk Questions in English
31. Who is considered the founder of Sikhism?
Answer: Guru Nanak
32. Which Indian state is known as the “Switzerland of India”?
33. Where is the Golden Temple located?
34. Where was Vasco da Gama from?
35. Who is called the “Iron Man of India”?
Answer: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
36. Which country has the longest borders?
37. Who is the author of the epic “Mahabharata”?
Answer: Maharshi Vedavyasa
38. Which is the largest state in India by area?
39. What is the highest military honor in India?
Answer: Param Vir Chakra
40. Onam is a famous festival of which Indian state?
41. Which is the smallest country in the world by population and area?
Answer: Vatican City
42. In which script is the Punjabi language written?
Answer: Gurmukhi script
43. Who is known as the “Soldier of the Pen”?
Answer: Munshi Premchand
44. What is India’s first university and when was it established?
Answer: Nalanda University (established in 450 CE)
45. Who was the first Englishman to read the inscriptions of Emperor Ashoka?
Answer: James Prinsep
46. Where did Mahavira establish the ‘Jain Sangha’?
47. Which foreign envoy proclaimed himself as ‘Bhagwat’?
48. In the Vedic period, which metal was used for the first time?
49. In which Veda is the composition done in both prose and poetry?
Answer: Yajur Veda
50. Who is known as the ‘King without a crown’?
Answer: Surendranath Banerjee
Top 50 Gk Questions in English
51. The discovery of the bronze chariot of the Harappan period was made from which place?
Answer: Daimabad (Maharashtra)
52. Which archaeological site of the Harappan civilization is referred to as the ‘Mound of the Dead’?
53. Who was the first Sufi saint to declare himself ‘Anal Haq’?
Answer: Mansur Al-Hallaj
54. The source of information about the ten incarnations of Lord Vishnu is found in which Purana?
Answer: Matsya Purana
55. In which branch of Buddhism is prominence given to mantras, Hatha Yoga, and tantric practices?
56. Where is the famous ‘Vijaya Vittala Temple’ located?
Answer: Hampi, Karnataka
57. Which ruler commissioned the construction of the ‘Kirti Stambha’ of Chittorgarh?
Answer: Rana Kumbha
58. Who was the author of the book ‘India Divided’?
Answer: Dr. Rajendra Prasad
59. Who was the Hindu king who ruled Delhi after Sher Shah and before Akbar?
60. What is the literal meaning of the word ‘Arya’?
Answer: Noble or Superior
61. What is the subject matter of the book ‘Charaka Samhita’?
62. What type of radiation does the ozone layer in the atmosphere protect us from?
Answer: Ultraviolet radiation
63. Due to the ‘Greenhouse Effect’, what happens to the Earth’s temperature?
Answer: It increases
64. Which state in India has the highest forest area?
Answer: Madhya Pradesh
65. Which gas is found in the highest proportion in the atmosphere?
66. Where is the Forest Research Institute (FRI) located in India?
67. What is afforestation?
Answer: Planting trees
68. Which category of forest area is the largest in India?
Answer: Reserved Forests
69. What is ‘green gold’?
Answer: Forest resources
70. What is the Forest Festival related to?
Answer: Tree plantation
71. Where is ‘Sloping Agriculture’ practiced?
Answer: Hill slopes
72. Which forest is the most crucial for global environment?
Answer: Tropical Rainforest
73. Environment is an external force that affects us. Whose statement is this?
Answer: C.C. Park
74. Who initiated environmental awareness in the world?
Answer: William Haevel
75. What is the biological factor of the environment?
76. Who was the advocate of environmental determinism?
Answer: Karl Ritter
77. Which year did the United Nations declare as the International Year of Ecotourism?
78. When is the World Environment Day celebrated?
Answer: June 5
79. What should be the percentage of forest cover in total geographical area to maintain the balance of the environment?
80. Which country is called the “Land of Windmills”?
81. Which mountain range is located on the northern border of India?
Answer: The Himalayas
82. What is the highest peak of the Himalayas in India?
83. Where is Nanda Devi situated?
84. Which mountain peak is the second-highest in the world?
Answer: Godwin-Austen (K2)
85. Which Himalayan peak is referred to as “Sagarmatha”?
Answer: Mount Everest
86. In which mountain ranges does the Kullu Valley lie?
Answer: Dhauladhar and Pir Panjal
87. Where is the Cardamom Hills located?
88. In which state is Guru Shikhar Peak located?
89. Where is the Dhuandhar Waterfall located?
Answer: Narmada River
90. Which is the easternmost peak of the Himalayas?
Answer: Namcha Barwa
91. The name “Jawahar Tunnel” was given to which natural mountain pass?
Answer: Banihal Pass
92. In which mountainous region is Pipali Ghat Pass located?
Answer: Aravalli Range
93. Which pass connects Srinagar and Leh?
Answer: Zoji La Pass
94. Tizu Pass connects India with which country?
95. In which state is Nathu La Pass located?
96. The famous “Kailash Mansarovar” Yatra passes through which pass?
Answer: Lipulekh Pass
97. Where is the Khaybar Pass located?
98. What is the name of the Ganga River in Bangladesh?
99. In which state is Sabarimala located?
100. Which river is known as the “River of Sorrow”?
Answer: Kosi River
We hope that the given Top 100 Easy GK Questions with Answers in English would have helped you to enhance your knowledge. What are your suggestions on this post, tell us through the comment section.